Industry Visit – Britannia
PGPIBM 2017-’19 Batch
Dated – 20th December, 2017
‘Britannia is ahead of its times. We always thrive on excellence and we believe in innovation. In the month of January 2018, we are introducing a new variety of biscuits called ‘Dukes’ which will have a caramel flavour. This absolutely new addition will mainly target the kids and the youngsters.’
- During packaging of biscuits some of the biscuits gets wasted due to breakage. How do you control such situations?
Those broken biscuits are recycled; we sell these broken biscuits to poultry farms so that nothing gets wasted. Earlier we used to break those biscuits and there were people who used to sell them.
- What are the different variants of biscuits produced in the Kolkata factory?
Currently we have four different variants. But it is not just biscuits, we have also started producing breads. The production of bread in Kolkata and West Bengal is a bit tricky, because the culture of eating bread is not popular in Bengal. We are more keen on having rice in our meals. Breads are more popular in North India as you will find that people are habituated to breads and rotis there. It is a challenge to make breads and cakes because it is easily infected by fungus. But Britannia has been in business for a very long time and we have never encountered such a problem. All the products are produced following the guidelines, and consumers are assured of quality goods when it comes to Britannia.
* If somebody has consumed the ghee of Britannia he/she will never have the ghee from other brands. It is of premium quality and we sale it at a 15% higher margin than other products.
* For cheese, we have been steadily maintaining monopoly in the market.
2018-19 will be an interesting time for us, because we are going international. We are expanding to Canada, Middle-East; and we have a an existing factory set up in Colombo
- We have recently participated in a competition called Brand Wars, and Britannia happens to be a reputed brand. Can branding decisions help businesses to prosper?
Recently an award has been given to Britannia as no.1 brand and we are no.1 in the food industry. FMCG companies like ITC and Hindustan Lever are much bigger in the context of earning profits and it’s difficult to compete with them, but I can take up the full responsibility to say that as a brand we are number 1. in the market.
We have typically come out from the traditional way and started the initiative of “eat healthy and stay better”. If you speak about the brand, you will find that there is a smiley in Good Day biscuits. We did a survey and found out that most of the people were not happy customers. As a brand we felt it was our responsibility to do something which will inspire the feeling of health and happiness. The smiley on the product was intentional; we wanted our customers to associate health and happiness with our product.