The MBA admission process has 4 main steps. The first is an entrance examination. There are several general entrance examinations like CAT, CET, MAT, etc. Once you clear the admission tests, you go on to give a personal interview. The personal interview is the first phase of the admission process, followed by a group discussion and then a confirmation of admission.
A group discussion takes about 15 to 20 minutes where one topic is assigned to 8-12 candidates. During this time, the candidates exchange their ideas and opinions on the given topics and present their arguments on the same. The arguments that you present during a group discussion must be rational and thoughtful. A group discussion tests your knowledge, your ability to communicate ideas and thoughts, as well as your leadership skills. Group Discussions are not so much about what you’re saying, rather about how you say it.
In order to make a good impression and increase your chances of admission, during your Group Discussion, here are some tips that will send you through with flying colours:
1. Read and gather as much knowledge as possible - Knowledge is an extremely important aspect of a group discussion during MBA admissions. During a group discussion, the topic can be specific or a general one from any sphere of life. It is important to be well-read about current affairs, and to be aware of your surroundings. If you can add some relevant information on the topic that is being discussed, it acts as a huge advantage for you.
2. Communication Skills - Another crucial aspect of a group discussion is communicating effectively. You might be aware and have knowledge on the topic that is being discussed, but if you are unable to communicate your ideas and thoughts in a proper way, it will not get you through the admission process. It is important to work on your communication skills and enhance them in order to increase your chances of making it to the next round.
3. Listen to others - During a group discussion, it is equally important to listen to the other participants, as it is to speak. You must acknowledge and consider what the other participants are saying before interjecting them. It displays the fact that you are willing to hear the ideas of others instead of just vocalising your own.
4. Ask Questions - When proposing an argument, make sure you are clear about your views and are able to express them well. It is absolutely essential that you have a proper structure to your argument. When ending your argument, try and end with a question. In doing so, the candidate who chooses to answer your question will look at you while addressing it. This will give you the opportunity to intervene and you can dominate the discussion.
5. Body Language is Important - It is crucial to remember that your body language speaks volumes. While sitting on a chair keep your back straight. Keep your focus on the discussion. It is important to make sure that you are not easily distracted. Keep your calm and dominate the conversation with your ideas, instead of getting aggressive. However, it is essential that you do not let others dominate you either.
During MBA admissions, a group discussion is an integral part of the admissions process. There are several MBA colleges in Kolkata that pay close attention to how you behave and communicate during a group discussion. If you follow the given guidelines for your group discussions, you will definitely make your mark. For those who want to pursue their MBA in Kolkata, there are several colleges which provide quality education for their students.
Among the various colleges in Kolkata where you can get your MBA degree from, Bengal Institute of Business Studies is one of the best. At BIBS, not only do we give importance to theoretical knowledge, but also practical knowledge. We want the best for our students and that is the very reason why we have a very hands-on approach when it comes to teaching. We focus on the holistic development of the students, and have student interactions with mentors from the corporate world. We also have a very active placement cell and have had over 400+ companies come to our college for recruitments. BIBS is among the best MBA colleges in Kolkata and the perfect place for MBA aspirants.